Skip to content ↓



Schools are strongly advised to inform parents/carers of their safeguarding and child protection procedures and the requirement to refer concerns to Social Care.  The following information can be used in the school’s brochure/prospectus and on websites:

Under the Education Act 2002 (section 175), schools must “make arrangements to safeguard and promote the welfare of children”. 

We will endeavour to provide a safe and welcoming environment where children are respected and valued.

The school will therefore be alert to signs of abuse and neglect and will follow the Safeguarding Children Partnership Board’s procedures to ensure that children receive appropriate and effective support and protection.

Parents/carers should know that the law requires all school staff to pass on information which gives rise to a concern about a child’s welfare, including risk from neglect, physical, emotional or sexual abuse. The school should make parents/carers aware that records of safeguarding concerns may be kept about their child.  They should be informed that school staff will seek, in general, to discuss any concerns with them including referrals to other agencies.

Local procedures state that “Consent should always be sought from an adult with parental responsibility for the child/young person before passing information about them to Children’s Social Care, unless seeking consent would place the child at risk of significant harm or may lead to the loss of evidence for example destroying evidence of a crime or influencing a child about a disclosure made.”  This includes allowing them to share information without consent, if it is not possible to gain consent, if it cannot be reasonably expected that a professional gains consent, or if to gain consent would place a child at risk.

Where there is a need to share special category personal data, the Data Protection Act 2018 contains ‘safeguarding of children and individuals at risk’ as a processing condition that allows professionals to share information.

In accordance with legislation and local Information Sharing protocols, we will ensure that information is shared securely and sensitively.  Information will only be shared with other services where it is deemed necessary and proportionate to ensure that children and young people are safe and receive the right service. In all circumstances, the safety of the child will be the paramount concern.

Schools will contact Children’s Social Care when they have reasonable cause to suspect a child may be suffering or likely to suffer significant harm. Occasionally, concerns are passed on which are later shown to be unfounded.  Parents/carers will appreciate that the member of staff in the school with responsibility for child protection (known as the Designated Safeguarding Lead or Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead) was carrying out their responsibilities in accordance with the law and acting in the best interests of all children.

Under Section 3 (5) of the Children Act 1989, any person who has care of a child “may….do what is reasonable in all the circumstances of the case for the purpose of safeguarding or promoting the child’s welfare”.  This means that on rare occasions, a school may need to “hold” a child in school whilst Social Care and the Police investigate any concerns further.

* The word ‘school’ is used throughout but this would include all educational settings e.g. Academies, Pupil Referral Units, Further Education establishments and Independent schools.





Police 999 Emergencies Only
  101 Non Emergencies - Online Contact
NHS 111 NHS Advice
Social Care 01733 864180 During Office Hours - Report a Concern
  01733 234724  Out of Hours Emergency - Report a Concern
Safeguarding Advice 01733 863744 Advice or Report a Concern
Business Watch 01733 302900 Please call if you have concerns about the security of the school site.
NSPCC 0808 8005000 NSPCC Services
Child Line 0800 1111 Childline Information and Advice
Keep Your Head Call NHS 111 Mental Health / Wellbeing - Advice & Information
Online Safety Issues   Advice and Information
Women’s Aid 01223 361214 Advice and Information
Rape Crisis  01733 852578 Advice and Information
Domestic Violence  0808 2000247 Advice and Information
Food Bank 01733 575083 Peterborough Food Bank Locations
Parish Pantry 01733 891003 Linked to St Michael's Church  (01733575083)

Department for Education Coronavirus helpline has been set up to answer questions about the virus related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline:

  • Phone: 0800 046 8687
  • Email:

Opening hours are 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday).